November 16, 2010

Come and get it! Lookout Premium is here.

It’s not every day that you launch a new product. But when one of those days rolls around, you certainly feel a sense of accomplishment.  Today is one of those days and I’m happy to say that Lookout Premium is available to all Android users.  It is easy to download and try Lookout Premium. If you haven’t already, download the free Lookout application from the Android Market, and from there you can easily upgrade.

Lookout Premium provides added security and privacy protection with all the great features in Free, plus:

• Additional Security + Privacy: Privacy Advisor + Remote Wipe and Remote Lock
  • Enhanced Backup & Restore: Photos and call history, in addition to contacts. Transfer data to a new phone.
  • Premium Support: Priority response to your issues and questions

And of course, we will continue to offer our award-winning free product. On behalf of the entire Lookout team, I want to thank our amazing users who have been a tremendous force in the market — for being our advocates and sharing Lookout with their friends and family. Please take a moment to try Lookout Premium, we hope you love it!

*** If you don’t see the “Try Premium” button yet, please check back again tomorrow. Early this morning, we started rolling-out Premium to all users, but it will take some time (as roll-outs normally do). You should see the updated version by the end of the week. If you are already a Lookout user click this link to upgrade directly and get an extra month for free: Upgrade Now!

Thank you for your patience!

1. Tyler says:

As a fan of the free product, I can’t wait to see what Premium has to offer!

2. smeat says:

Yeah… your site says to upgrade to premium in the app, no such option in the app. A little confusing.

3. Am I missing something?
    I don’t see a link to buy the upgrade. I would want to pay the yearly subscription price.
    How can this get done?

4. alicia says:

@Michael and @smeat. Our apologies if the upgrade process is a tad confusing. If you don’t see the “Try Premium” button yet, check back again tomorrow. We have already started the process to roll-out Premium to all users, but it may take some time. You should see the new updated version within two days on Lookout. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

5. Victor Weinrich says:

I think you should really update the blog to clarify this point. Lookout has so far shown a very coherent package and support, but some users will be discouraged by this current disconnect between the blog and reality, and may not check into these comments.

6. NickU says:

If I try the Upgrade free for 30 days, and decide not to purchase, will my free subscription continue “as is”?
    I’m sure I’ll buy the upgrade, but just wondering.

7. alicia says:

@nicku, Yes your free subscription will continue as is. Thanks for checking in with Lookout!

8. alicia says:

@Victor Great idea. We’ll add an update now. Thanks for your feedback!

9. Paul says:

I feel like my birthday came early this year. I’ve been waiting for this upgrade for quite some time. After losing a phone in the airport last year, Lookout has been my guardian angel. Now, with the addition of the Nuke feature, I can sleep in peace. Glad to have it, but I hope I never need to push the “Big Red Button.”

10. Tim says:

Hi, prices are listed in US dollars and you need to pay via credit card – what if you’re buying from overseas/outside the US?

Would you have to pay any currency conversion fees? To avoid this are there any plans to allow users to subscribe via the existing Android Market payment methods?

Thanks.

11. Tabitha Dobrzynski says:

I love ur app I have had it on my last 3 phones in the past yr. Love it love it love it!!!!! As soon as I can afford too purchase, the premium I am on it . Just I have a lg family and cant afford anything at this point!!!!! Plz keep the basic free plz!!!! And TY!!!!!

12. Louise says:

will I lose any of the free options that i have now when the new lookout premiun is up and running

13. alicia says:

@louise, No, you will not lose any of the free options now that you are running the Premium trial. At the end of the trial (in 30 days), you can decide to upgrade or go back to the free version you’ve always had. Thanks! Lookout

14. alicia says:

@Tim if you pay with cred card you shouldn’t have to pay any additional fees, unless your bank charges you.

15. Lisa B says:

My question is what if you have more then one phone in your account. Is the fee per account or per phone?

16. Xubean says:

Thanks for the awesome app, if you can also add backing up SMS’s (automatically or manually) that would be great. I wouldn’t mind paying premium for such functionality and I’m sure a lot of other users wouldn’t either. Hope to see that feature soon! :)

17. Brian says:

Just upgraded today will keep you posted.

18. alicia says:

@Xubean, Thanks for the feedback! We’ll send it on to our product team.

19. alicia says:

@Lisa B, You can manage two phones from a single Lookout account. And the fee is per account, not per phone. Thanks for checking in! Lookout

20. Brian says:

The e-mail I got today contained this sentence:

“While we will continue to offer a free product, a few of our previously free features will become premium features for users who join today.”

Which previously free features are becoming premium?

21. alicia says:

@ Brian, thanks for asking. The following free features are becoming premium: Picture and call history backup as well as restoring/transferring data to a new phone. Hope this clarifies it for you!

22. Frank Levitt says:

I love the idea of offering these new features. It be a great excess to all cell phones since they be lost and stolen. How ever I couldnt be able to afford the upgrade at this time,but willing to try it for free. I would like to know once the free trial ends,will I be charged automacticly if i dont decide in time?

23. Dave says:

I love the new Privacy Advisor but I would like to see something added to it. Maybe instead of just saying these apps can access your phone id and such you could also rate the app as to whether or not it should have or needs access to that.

24. Patrick says:

Can I put my wife’s and my ‘phone under 1 account? I see that you have previously stated that you can manage 2 ‘phones from 1 account, but is that with only 1 number? Thanks in advance.

25. alicia says:

@Frank, Glad you’re excited about the new features! If you decide to try the free trial, you will NOT be automatically charged at the end of the trial.

26. alicia says:

@Patrick, You can actually manage two phone numbers and two devices from one account. Thanks!

27. alicia says:

@Dave, Thanks for the idea! We’ll be sure to send it along to our product team.

28. Kim Huff says:

Maybe it is just me but I have yet to see a price listed anywhere.

29. Dave says:

My wife and I both downloaded the free version before Premium came out. If I want to add her to my account and upgrade to Premium do I just have to remove her device from her account? If I do that and she decides to add it back to her account will get still get the free stuff the way it was before Premium came out? I do see where I can add a device in my account but since she has it on her account it won’t go on mine. I think it is great that you allow 2 devices on 1 account. Makes it a no brainer to upgrade to Premium.

30. alicia says:

@Kim Premium is either$2.99 per month or $29.99 per year. Thanks for checking in!

31. JAY says:

Have their been thoughts of having up to 5 different phone numbers on one account? That maybe easier done on a premium account.

32. Shawn says:

Agreeing with what Jay has commented about. What about those of us with family plans using this application on all the phones? Is there a discount for mutliple phones under one user account?

33. alicia says:

@Shawn and @Jay At this stage we do not have a family plan, although it is something our product team is looking into. All Lookout users have the ability to manage TWO devices from one account. This may help in the meantime!

34. Dave says:

Still wondering about adding my wifes device to mine. She has the free version all setup. Do I have to delete her account and then add it to mine?

35. Brian says:

36. Betty says:

Like Dave, I want to install Premium on my phone and my granddaughters. How does the backup and restore work for each phone? Are they stored separately and all reports would be just sent to my e-mail?

37. Dave says:

Thanks Brian and Jermey. I upgraded to Premium and put it on my wifes phone as well. Lookout gives us the security I want on our phone. Well worth the price to feel our personal data is being protected.

38. @Dave – You can add your wife’s device to yours by reinstalling Lookout on her phone and logging in with your credentials. Premium status is conferred on accounts, not devices, so if she reinstalls again and logs into her account, she would need to purchase premium to gain the premium features.

39. Nona Mills says:

40. Brian says:

@Nona Mills – Backup is very easy, just install and choose the data types you want to backup, then click the backup button and/or set the scheduled time you want backup to run. Restore takes a little more doing but these should help:

Regular reports are sent to you in email about the status of your account.

Brian