Today we are introducing a new concept called Lookout Labs and rolling out our first project: Plan B. Lookout Labs was created to explore and test out new ideas that push the boundaries of mobile. Projects developed in Lookout Labs are experimental by nature and are developed to showcase new concepts and facilitate an exchange between Lookout and the mobile community. Our engineers and other staff come up with new ideas every day, and we wanted a way to get the best ones implemented and released to the market quickly. They may only be available for a limited time, so make sure you check out our latest projects when they are first rolled out.
As part of Lookout Labs, today we are releasing our first project called Plan B. Plan B for Android is the last resort to find your missing phone, and is available for Android 2.2 platforms and earlier. Plan B is the first and only ‘find my phone’ app that you can download AFTER you’ve already lost your phone to locate it.
We’ve all had a friend who has lost their phone, but didn’t have Lookout or another ‘find my phone app’ already on their phone. Plan B was created for them. Plan B is not a replacement for Lookout and is designed to be a one-time use app. It’s a backup plan for anyone who’s lost their phone and wants to get it back.
Using Plan B is simple, but requires access to the Android Market website (https://market.android.com/) and a Google account.
Follow these easy steps to use Plan B:
- Go to the Android Market website and search “Plan B,” or visit the Plan B Android Market page.
- Install Plan B to the phone that you are trying to find. (It’s important to note that you need to download Plan B from the web version of the Android Market, not the Android Market app market on your phone.)As soon as it is installed, Plan B will send an email to your Gmail account telling you it’s locating your phone.
- Once Plan B has located your phone, check your Gmail again to find a link to a Google Map of where your phone is located. For 10 minutes Plan B will send you a series of consecutive emails with refined location updates every few minutes.
- If your phone seems to be on the move, and you aren’t able to find your phone within ten minutes of downloading Plan B, you can text yourself the word “locate” from a friend’s phone in order to start the locate process again.
- After you’ve found your lost phone, we recommend you download full protection from Lookout Mobile Security!
Since this is a beta project as part of Lookout Labs, it is only available in the U.S. on the four major carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile) and you must be on Android 2.0 and above.
Be a good friend. Help spread the word, and if you ever have a friend that has lost their phone, tell them about Plan B! Stay tuned for more innovative projects to come out of Lookout Labs.
Comments are closed on this post, please contact support [at] lookout [dot] com if you ever need help with Plan B.