February 23, 2011

Presenting Lookout Labs and Plan B

Today we are introducing a new concept called Lookout Labs and rolling out our first project: Plan B.  Lookout Labs was created to explore and test out new ideas that push the boundaries of mobile. Projects developed in Lookout Labs are experimental by nature and are developed to showcase new concepts and facilitate an exchange between Lookout and the mobile community. Our engineers and other staff come up with new ideas every day, and we wanted a way to get the best ones implemented and released to the market quickly. They may only be available for a limited time, so make sure you check out our latest projects when they are first rolled out.

As part of Lookout Labs, today we are releasing our first project called Plan B. Plan B for Android is the last resort to find your missing phone, and is available for Android 2.2 platforms and earlier. Plan B is the first and only ‘find my phone’ app that you can download AFTER you’ve already lost your phone to locate it.

We’ve all had a friend who has lost their phone, but didn’t have Lookout or another ‘find my phone app’ already on their phone.  Plan B was created for them.  Plan B is not a replacement for Lookout and is designed to be a one-time use app. It’s a backup plan for anyone who’s lost their phone and wants to get it back.

Using Plan B is simple, but requires access to the Android Market website (https://market.android.com/) and a Google account.

Follow these easy steps to use Plan B:

1. Go to the Android Market website and search “Plan B,” or visit the Plan B Android Market page.
    2. Install Plan B to the phone that you are trying to find. (It’s important to note that you need to download Plan B from the web version of the Android Market, not the Android Market app market on your phone.)As soon as it is installed, Plan B will send an email to your Gmail account telling you it’s locating your phone.
    3. Once Plan B has located your phone, check your Gmail again to find a link to a Google Map of where your phone is located. For 10 minutes Plan B will send you a series of consecutive emails with refined location updates every few minutes.
    4. If your phone seems to be on the move, and you aren’t able to find your phone within ten minutes of downloading Plan B, you can text yourself the word “locate” from a friend’s phone in order to start the locate process again.
    5. After you’ve found your lost phone, we recommend you download full protection from Lookout Mobile Security!

Since this is a beta project as part of Lookout Labs, it is only available in the U.S. on the four major carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile) and you must be on Android 2.0 and above.

Be a good friend. Help spread the word, and if you ever have a friend that has lost their phone, tell them about Plan B! Stay tuned for more innovative projects to come out of Lookout Labs.

Comments are closed on this post, please contact support [at] lookout [dot] com if you ever need help with Plan B.

1. David Krien says:

Why will no one contact me to help with the Lookout Program?? This is soooo frustrating!! Please contact me so I can fix my phone. David Krien – 7856504770 – david@nrata.com

• AmyW says:

Hi David,

Thank you for your email! I believe Brian, from our support team, was able to answer all of your questions today. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us at: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks again!

2. Justin says:

I don’t really understand the second step. How would you install plan b to the phone you’re trying to find if it’s lost? Unless there is remote access involved with scripts…can you help explain a little more?

• AmyW says:

Hi Justin,

Thanks so much for your message. To answer your question, when your phone is lost you can install Plan B, but you will need access to the web version of the Android Market, not the Android Market app that is available on smartphones (https://market.android.com/). Plan B leverages the online synchronization available in the Android Market website to remotely install an app to your phone. You can use a laptop or computer to log onto the Android Market on the web, and from there you can download the application directly to your phone. Once the app is installed, Plan B will send emails to your Gmail account with the location information for your phone. Feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any other questions. They would be happy to help. Email Brian at support@mylookout[dot]com

3. David says:

Hi lookout team. I tried Plan B today and it is half working. it installed fine and is attempting to send texts, however, I am getting text messages back saying that it is trying to send to a landline. If my phone where lost I wouldn’t know this. Is there a way around this?

Thanks!
    David

• Amy says:

@ David, thanks for your email. Plan B is currently supported by the following carriers: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint, it could be that you are experiencing difficulty because you have a different service provider? If this is not the case, or you have any other questions about Plan B, please feel free to reach out to our support team: support@mylookout [dot]com.

4. Steve says:

Well, it installed fine and it sent me the message just fine. The thing is, it said that the phone was 849 meters away. Actually, it was about 8 inches away. This is a great idea but I’m not sure that it will be very useful if it’s that far off the mark.

5. virgil mascarenhas says:

This sounds like a good plan. How come it can be only used once? What if the GPS section of the phone is turned off by the person that stole it? Does the GPS section of the phone need to be on in order for it to work?

• Amy says:

@Virgil, thanks for sending in your question. Lookout will remotely turn on GPS to locate your device. We recommend that once you’ve located your lost phone with Plan B, that you download Lookout that will not only help you locate a lost phone better – you can lock it and even perform security scans.

6. virgil mascarenhas says:

One other question, can someone use plan b to locate your whereabouts if the phone has not been stolen?

• Amy says:

@Virgil, thanks for reaching out. After you install Plan B on your phone, Plan B will send an email to your Gmail account with a map of your phone’s location. You can only locate the phone’s whereabouts using plan B if you know the user’s Gmail account name and password. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us at: support@lookout [dot]com.

7. Matthias says:

any chances that this is going to be released/working in europe with other carriers too?

• alicia says:

@Matthias, at this time it only works with US carriers. We’ll keep you posted if we can expand it to other markets. Thanks for your interest!

8. niki says:

Hi ..I lost my cell.Downloaded..The message that I got was that is locating my cell. that was 6 hours ago.

9. mafiahitman1 says:

how can stop it after unstalling?

10. digglez says:

wat if there is no service to ur phone would u still be able to locate ..?

• Amy says:

@digglez, thanks for your message. If there is no service to your phone and you try to locate it, Lookout will not be able to send a map of the location at that time. However, as soon as your phone receives service again and has a network connection, it will send you a map of the phone’s current location. Thank you!

11. Don says:

You guys screwed me my girl checks everywhere I am thanks for nothing thats messed up how do I block it im pissed off

12. zdevine says:

Does Plan B work with wifi only Motorola Xoom tablets? Does it require a plan from a major carrier?

I got my wifi only Xoom stolen and I’m guessing the thief must connect to a wifi connect before Plan B will be able to connect and locate.

Thanks

• Amy says:

@Zedevine, thanks for your message. We’re sorry to hear that your Motorola Xoom tablet was stolen. Plan B will work with wifi only tablets and does not require a plan from a major carrier, but the tablet must be connected to the network or WiFi in order to work. After you initiate the install for Plan B, and the tablet is connected to WiFi, you will begin to receive emails of the location. Thanks!

13. Renee says:

Does the stolen phone have to be turned on by the person who stole it to locate? I have tried and tried and still get no email. What are all the possibilities why I have not received an email?

• Amy says:

@Renee, thanks for your email. When you go to the web market and initialize Plan B to download on your mobile device, it will try try to install on your phone. If your phone is turned off (or is not connected to WiFi/3G network), Plan B will not be able to install at at that time. However, as soon as your device is turned on (or is connected to the network), Plan B should install immediately and send you an email message with the location information. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our support team: support[at]mylookout.com. Thanks!

14. Mike says:

We installed plan b on our home computor in the android market and we did not receive an email. We did see that our phone was on through instant messaging and sent the word locate but still noemail. Is it possible that our email password was different than the original? We have changed it many times since we connected our phone. After the phone was stollen we changed them again. Would that effect our ability to recieve an email?

• Amy says:

@Mike, thanks for your question. We’d be happy to work with you to determine what may be happening when you try to install Plan B and locate your mobile device. Please just send a quick email to: support[at]mylookout.com and our team will be able to answer all your questions. Thanks!

15. kevin says:

does this app work with virgin mobile canada? If the thief took the sim card out will the app work?

• Amy says:

@Kevin, thanks for your message. To answer your questions, yes, Plan B should work with Virgin Mobile Canada. Also, if the thief takes the sim card out, and connects the device to WiFi, locate will work. If the device has a different SIM card, Plan B can still locate the phone immediately when the phone is connected. Thanks!

16. Kuen says:

How to stop the plan b function via internet to config the mobile phone?
    Because I want to stop to receive the mail.Thanks!

• Amy says:

@Kuen, thanks for your question. Once you download Plan B from the Android web market, Plan B will send emails to your Gmail for 10 minutes with updates on the location of your mobile device (whether the phone is moving or standing still). After that, Plan B will stop sending emails. You can trigger emails once again by texting ‘locate’ to their phone number. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at: support[at]mylookout.com.

17. Lonnie says:

Two questions:

1) How do I resend to a wifi tablet? I cannot text it like a phone. So, if I want updates after 10 minutes, what do I do?

2) If I changed my google account password, will that affect this?

• Amy says:

@Lonnie, thanks for your questions. At this time Plan B locates a device once upon install and the way to continuously locate the device is by texting “locate” to the device. Since your tablet does not have SMS functionality, I’m afraid you won’t be able to text “locate” to your device. If you have changed your Google account password, it should not affect your ability to download plan B to a device. If you have any other questions, please let us know: support[at]mylookout.com, our team is happy to work with you. Thanks!

18. G says:

Great app guys. Helped me find a phone dropped in a remote parking lot that would have otherwise been lost.

Thanks!

19. Brooke says:

If I downloaded the plan b software and it gave me a location of the phone, how accurate is it? Also, will plan b locate a phone under water? Thanks, Brooke

20. Brooke says:

I also wanted to know if you have to download plan b software from a computer? Will it not work properly if I downloaded the software from my Samsung galaxy phone? Thanks, Brooke

21. Brooke says:

If the phone goes straight to voice mail and is out of charge, will plan b work? Thanks, brooke

22. Brooke says:

For some reason it is picking up my phone instead of the phone that is lost. Can someone please help me with this? Is there a phone number foe customer support? Brooke

• Amy says:

@Brook, thank you for your messages. To answer some of your questions, Plan B will send you an initial email message with your phone’s location as soon as you download Plan B, and will continue to send up to 5 other messages as it refines your phone’s location or tracks it as it moves (each location email will include an accuracy rating in meters). In order for Plan B to locate your phone, the phone must have some battery power available. You can download Plan B to your mobile device from the Android Web Market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb, and you can access the Android web market from either a desktop computer or another smartphone/tablet. If you have any other questions, or would like to reach our support team, please email us at: support[at]mylookout.com, they’ll be happy to help you! Thank you!

23. Vince says:

I lost my phone and installed Plan B from the web version of the Android Market. It appeared to install successfully. But, I have not received any email yet. It has been almost an hour.

When it did not work I tried the whole process on my wife’s phone and the app did appear on her phone but again no emails were received.

Looking forward to any help you can offer.

• Amy says:

@Vince, thank you for your question. When possible, Plan B will attempt to launch as soon as it downloads, but in some cases you will need to send an SMS to get it started. You can start the process by texting “locate” to your number from any other phone. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our support team: support[at]mylookout.com. Thanks!

24. J says:

My Samsung Tab was stolen and I installed Plan B and it showed me the location within 500m. Im trying to get the location again but is says that I already have it installed. I cant text the device for an updated location so are there aother options?

• Amy says:

@J, thanks for your message-we’re sorry to hear your Samsung Tab was stolen. At this time Plan B locates a device once upon install and the way to continuously locate the device is by texting “locate” to the device. Since your tablet does not have SMS, I’m afraid Plan B will only be able to provide the one initial reading. If you have any other questions, please let us know: support[at]mylookout.com, our team is happy to work with you. Thanks!

25. Jay says:

Hey guys! Looks like a great app to have! How soon would it be available outside US?

Hope we can get our hands on it soon! Seems to be a life(phone)saver!

26. Jodi says:

I have installed plan b and I am not getting any emails, is there anything more I can do or am I out of luck?

27. James says:

If the locator cannot narrow my phone to less than 100m does that mean it could be in a large building or something masking the signal? Tips/tricks/hints?

28. Siva says:

Plan B is an awesome app, helped me track the location of my lost phone. It worked as promised. Here is what happened. I just lost my phone again. The first time I installed the app via Android Market web and located the device, I did not install the full app, so now it does not run in the background and does not respond via ‘locate’ SMS. However, now I can’t reinstall the app from Android Market web as it says it is already installed. How do I reinstall from web so it will send me location automatically? Please advice.

29. Steve says:

This sounds like the greatest program ever. If it works to find my device then I will upgrade and pay for sure.

One question, will this program/app work if my service is suspended? If the crooks who took it connect to wifi?

• Amy says:

@Steve, thanks for your question. If there is no cellular service to your device, when the Lookout app connects through WiFi, Lookout will locate your device. In this case, the locate may just not be immediate (it will occur at the time of Lookout’s next scheduled scan or backup). If you have any other questions, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thank you!

30. Paul says:

Okay i had a tmobile samsung galaxy tab. I believe it has been stolen or i may have misplaced it somewhere. I had lookout installed on the device. I had the sim removed from the tablet and I was using it as wifi only. If the person who has my tablet did a hard reset on the tablet and connected it to a wifi network am I still able to locate the tablet or install plan B remotley if it has been wiped clean?

• alicia says:

@Paul, I hope we can track down your tablet! For the best and fastest help, reach out to our support team. They will certainly be able to help you! email support@mylookout[dot]com.

31. Lynn says:

Hello- I just had my phone stolen last night and I immediately downloaded your plan b app. I still have not yet received an email (been 14 hours) and was wondering if I did something wrong? Can anyone help?

• Amy says:

@Lynn, thanks for your email-we’re sorry to hear your phone was stolen. If you haven’t yet received an email from Plan B with your phone’s location, it is possible that your phone is turned off/does not currently have a WiFi/network connection. However, if you’ve installed Plan B, as soon as your phone is powered on and receives a connection, you will receive an email. At that time you can also text “locate” to your device to receive additional location emails. When you locate your stolen device, it’s a good idea to contact your local police department for help getting it back. If you have any other questions, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thank you!

32. Rebecca says:

I downloaded plan b onto my phone after I lost it the other night. I got the first email saying that plan b has started locating and I should have my location shortly, but then I never got an email with a location. It’s been hours. I know my phone is on because I can call it.

• Amy says:

@Rebecca, thanks for reaching out. You can text “locate” to your device to start the locate process again from any other phone. If you do not receive an email with your phone’s location, it’s possible that even though your phone is turned on, it may not have a network connection (for Plan B to locate your phone, your device must have a connection; WiFi/data). If this is the case, as soon as you phone does connect to the network, you’ll receive an email with the phone’s location. If you have any other questions, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thank you!

33. margaret says:

hello,
    last week my phone has been stolen by someone i know, only i dont know exact which person it was because it was with a party from work. i didnt know that this was possible so i think i am to late whit installing this app.

i blocked my simcard so how is it possible to get a email or location from the phone. what if they reset everything then it is not possible?

i hope u can get me an answer thank u very much.

• Amy says:

@Margaret, thanks very much for your question-we’re very sorry to hear your phone was stolen. If you have downloaded Plan B to your device from the Android Market and the phone is turned on/has a connection to the network, you will receive an initial email with the phone’s location. Next, you can then text “locate” to your device (send it to your phone’s number) and that will initiate another email to be sent to your google email address (associated with your Android device). However, if you’ve disabled cellular service to your device Plan B will be unable to locate the phone by texting “locate.” If you have any questions about using Plan B, please feel free to contact our support team: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thank you!

34. sam says:

Hi my phone was stolen from a public library. I’m in Montreal Canada using with Bell Canada, does plan B work internationally? I’m really hoping so else I don’t know what to do. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2

• Amy says:

@Sam, thanks for your question-we’re very sorry to hear your phone was stolen. Plan B does work internationally; upon installation, Plan B will begin locating your device. If your phone is powered on and has a connection (either to WiFi or network) you will receive an email to your Gmail account with a map of your phone’s location. You can also text “locate” to your device to receive additional location emails. If you locate your phone, you can let your local police station know the phone’s location and they can help you safely retrieve your mobile device. If you have any questions at all about using Plan B to find your phone, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks!

35. Deepti says:

Hi I lost my Android Phone.I remotely installed Plan B on it (the status says completed).How can i find out if it has installed or not?
    Also, I changed my google account’s password soon after i discovered my phone was stolen. Will Plan B still be able to send mail to my gmail account or respond to “locate” text?

• Amy says:

@Deepti, we’re sorry to hear you lost your phone. If you’ve changed your Google account password since downloading Plan B you will still be able to download Plan B to your Android device. If you haven’t yet received an email with your phone’s location, it could be that your phone is currently powered off or is not connected to the network. However, as soon as your device is turned on and connects (2G/3G/4G/WiFi), you will receive an email with your phone’s location. If you have any other questions, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks!

36. Michele says:

So, this is not to download to your phone just because? I do like lookout but I’m only looking for lost phone locator not a whole security app.

• Amy says:

@Michele, thanks for your question. Plan B is a great app to use if you have lost your phone and you do not already have an app installed that will help you locate your device (it’s your last resort to finding your phone). We recommend installing an app like Lookout that can will enable you to quickly login in to your mylookout account on the web and locate your phone if it ever goes missing (for more information on using Lookout to locate your device: http://blog.mylookout.com/2011/04/quick-guide-on-how-to-use-lookout-to-find-a-lost-phone/). Also, downloading the full version of Lookout is the best way to keep your phone safe from malware, back up your data, and locate, scream, lock, or wipe a lost or stolen phone. Thank you!

37. cyberpine says:

1. I can’t have my phone locked. If the phone is stolen or in use will texting locate to the the phone alert the person with the phone?
    2. Any way to configure the app to email to another email address that is not the google gmail account on the phone?

• Amy says:

@Cyberpine, thanks for your questions. If you text “locate” to your device, and someone is using your phone, they will not see the text appear. To protect your privacy, when you install Plan B to your device Plan B will only send your phone’s location to the Gmail address already associated with the phone; nobody else can access your location using Plan B. If you have any other questions, please email us at: feedback@mylookout[dot]com.

38. cyberpine says:

Any way to configure outbound email to not use gmail on the phone?

To not see the text message on the phone inbound?

To not get the Plan B screen when locate is sent?

A scheduler feature would be nice too

If not, any Application like that out there?

Thanks.

39. Caro says:

I remotely installed Plan B on my missing phone. My phone is on (it rings when I call it) and has a data connection. However, I am not receiving any location updates even after texting the word “locate”. The phone is a sony ericsson xperia 10 running Android 2.1. Please help. Thank you

• Amy says:

@Caro, thanks for reaching out. Please send our team a quick email: support@mylookout[dot]com, we’ll be happy to work with you to see why you haven’t yet received a location email from Plan B. Thanks!

40. Ivy says:

hi. my phone was lost or stolen. I downloaded the plan B and text “locate” thrice but there are no emails that i received in my gmail. isnt it must sent a mail after it was installed? does the cell phone’s wifi enabled in order to install the program? please help, this is my last way of getting back my phone.

• Amy says:

@Ivy, thanks for your message, we’re very sorry to hear your phone was stolen. To answer your questions, when you install Plan B remotely to your mobile device, you should receive an email with the phone’s location shortly after. If you have not yet received and email, it may that your phone is powered off, or does not have a connection (WiFi or network 3G/4G). If this is the case, as soon as your phone is turned on (or receives a connection), you will receive an email message. You can also text “locate” to your phone to try to initiate another locate to your phone, however, if your phone’s SIM card has been removed the text will not be delivered to your device (you won’t be able to use the text message to help find your phone). If you locate your phone, you can let your local police station know the phone’s location and they can help you safely retrieve your mobile device. If you have any questions at all about using Plan B to find your phone, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks!

41. Ivy says:

another one, what if the thief changes the sim? how can i send “locate” to it?

42. Ivy says:

what if the theft changed the sim? how can i text “locate” in it?

43. Ryan says:

Great ideally, but no thief is ever going to keep the sim card in! That’s the first thing they will remove. I’ve had this problem and the police just are not interested. A program that could detect if a new sim was working with the IMEI number would be useful. Great for lost phones, not so great if anyone finds your phone first!

44. Francisco Garcia says:

Hey, i think your program is great, i just have a really big question… I recently lost my asus transformer tablet which isn’t the G version. I made a mistake and by accident installed plan B directly to my LG optimus phone, and then i installed the lookout software in the same phone… After that i saw that i had to install it in the asus via the market webpage and u did!! The question is, how can i track my transformer instead of what the program is doing (searching and giving me gps location for my LG phone), to change it in order to track my transformer, or see which one is tracking at a time..???? if there’s a way to see which one is tracking, i can’t find it!!

45. Alex says:

If the thief changes the sim card will the program be able to find the cellphone through the imei number?

• Amy says:

@Alex, thanks for reaching out. If you remotely install Plan B from the web Android Market, and your phone has a WiFi connection, you should receive an email to your Gmail account with the phone’s location (even if your sim card has been removed). Plan B will only be able to locate your device upon install (since the method to re-locate the device after install requires texting “locate” to the device). If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us: feedback@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks!

46. sachin says:

I lost the phone. Revoked access to gmail account. then came to know about PLAN B. remotely installed it. But ur site says it sends location through gmail , and those emails are not getting received on my account. Is there any way I can use get position via sms on other phone.
    I used “locate” sms from other phones but in vain.
    I am in India, Network provider – IDEA 2G, Phone- Alcatel D906.
    plz. .plz . reply

47. Marie rynne says:

These kids must be smarter then this app I know the idiot who took it but the police wont do anything and i know the kids hang out after school and now they must have the phone off permanently it’s a neighbor my daughters friend her older sister what kind of theirs r out there and think they can steel from a kid!!! Is there really no other way to track when u buy a smart phone they should tell u to download a tracker app when u activate it I’m just learning how to use my phone didn’t even know about these appS figured it was just gps tracker already!! Really the law is protecting the thirds !!!!!
    Ugh!!!

48. Ampt says:

What if you aren’t on one of the 4 major carriers? what then? I’m with USCC and my phone is somewhere along 100 miles of ATV trails an I sent the message and recieved a message stating that the search had initiated, but an hour later and nothing has shown up yet 🙁

49. Ampt says:

Does this work with US Cellular? I sent the text to my phone and got the email saying that the search was starting… but nothing since then 🙁 It’s been over an hour and the phone rings when I call it

• Amy says:

@Ampt, thanks for your questions. Plan B will work with US Cellular (Plan B works on carriers in the US and international). In order for Plan B to locate your device, the phone will need just need to be powered on (which it sounds like it is), and have a network connection (WiFi, 3G/4G). If you have any other questions about locating your phone, please feel free to contact us directly: support[at]mylookout.com. Thank you!

50. Avicc says:

Hi, lost my phone and went through all the steps – texted locate twice ( from separate phones) and still have not received any emails – some 3 hours later. Where am I going wrong? Thanks!

• Amy says:

@Avicc, thanks for your message. If you haven’t yet received an email with your phone’s location from Plan B, it’s possible that your phone may be turned-off, or currently not have a network connection (WiFi or 3G/4G). As soon as your phone is powered on, or connects to the network, Plan B will send you an email with you phone’s location. If you have any questions or would like additional information, please let us know: support@mylookout[dot]com. Thanks!

51. Nancy says:

Plan B just found my Android. I am sooooo happy, it worked exactly as it said it would. Exactly! Thank you Plan B.

• Amy says:

@Nancy, thanks for your message. That’s great news, we’re so glad to hear you used Plan B to find your Android!

52. Lida says:

I “lost” my phone yesterday and did some research and came upon, and remotely downloaded, Plan B (I actually already had Lookout but it never connected when I tried to make it scream or when I tried to “locate” my phone). And at first Plan B gave me a wide radius of where my phone might be, but then it located it “23m from (GPS coordinates).” Well it just so happens that the only house on my street that the 23 meter radius touches,is my next door neighbors (not a surprise to me). It doesn’t touch my house or even my driveway. I’m going to skip ahead and ask my question. If i located my phone using plan B, but now the phone is dead, will it send the new location of my phone if the phone is turned on later, even with a new sim card in it? AND, how accurate is the GPS location? Could the coordinates be a little off, could it be in my house? That could be a stupid question, but I need some validation. Sorry about the length! Please HELP!

• Amy says:

@Lida, thanks for your questions. If your phone has no power, and you initiate Lookout/Plan B to find your phone, it will be unable to locate your phone at this time. However, as soon as your device is turned on, Lookout/Plan B will send you an email with the phone’s location. The GPS accuracy can vary based on each locate, (the first map image may show a general area and you will receive additional emails as Lookout/Plan B refines your phone’s location). If you’d like any assistance using Lookout/Plan B to locate your phone, please contact our support team: support@mylookout[dot]com. If you believe your phone may have been stolen, we recommend contacting the authorities – they will be able to help you safely retrieve your device.

53. John says:

What if the phone is stolen and underwent a master reset?

54. michael says:

Dear Amy,

I love your apps so much but the problem is i did not receive email after i install plan B apps.

I am from malaysia (next to singapore)

Wish you can give me solution.

Thanks

• @Michael,
      I’m sorry Plan B didn’t work as you expected. Would you please email our support team, support [at] mylookout [dot] com, with more details?
      best, RT

55. Catalin says:

I’ve just found my lost phone with this trick. I didn’t think that idea can work. The plan B works perfect ! 🙂

56. Susan says:

My phone was stolen a month ago, but unfortunately I didn’t know about Plan B until last night. I know someone else stole my phone as my Instagram account is flooded with narcissistic pictures of a half-naked man. Obviously the thief has changed the SIM so I can’t text locate, but will Plan B still send emails to my Gmail if it has WiFi, or does it only work the first 10 minutes? I haven’t received any email although I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app several times. Thanks!

• @Susan, Plan B does require a data connection to download. If the SIM card is removed and there is no saved WiFi hot spot nearby, then it won’t work until the next time the device connects to the internet. Please email our support team if you ever need help! Support [at] mylookout [dot] com.

57. holly says:

please help me… i have tried locating and it only says its 2372 meters away. how am i supposed to find it with that?can it narrow down the search?i dont think im going to be able to find it. thats too broad of a search. please let me know what i can do. also the lookout will not locate the phone or scream but the phone is on otherwise the plan b wouldnt be locating it. what can be done to fix this?does this really work or am i just going to be stuck with my phone somewhere over 2000 meters away?please help me

• @holly, you can initiate another locate, as described above in step 4. When you look at the map of the possible radius, do you recognize any of those areas? Please feel free to contact our support team, support [at] mylookout [dot] com.

58. amina says:

hi! im not recieving any mail? its been hours what should i do?

59. Hi everyone!
    Comments are now closed on this post. Please email our support team, support [at] mylookout [dot] com if you need help with Plan B.
    best, RT