March 2, 2012

Infographic: Battery Saving 101

When it comes to smartphones, good battery life is important. How important? 59% of smartphone users rated battery life as essential in deciding what smartphone to purchase. So how can you get the most mileage out of your phone’s battery? Check out our “Battery Saving 101” infographic to learn tips and tricks to keep your phone running strong!

Click to enlarge

1. Nicholas Quartuccio says:

I have lookout i got hacked? ???? Noow. Noow. Send info bat life

2. ruth says:

Lookout can not be uninstalled. Do not download.@@

3. Andrew says:

Great tips for extending the battery life, I always end up swapping in a battery when I’m running low, but I know many devices don’t have that option. So every last bit counts.

4. Kevin says:

Good post, but I found it because lookout has suddenly become a huge battery hog on my Stratosphere. Started yesterday, it us suddenly using 70% of my battery power. Could it be due to the recent update? Settings>applications> Battery use reports 16 min of CPU time and 14 hours of stay awake time.

5. Rich Owings says:

Not sure I buy tip #1. Sure, it’s right for 3G phones, but with my 4G phone when I’m at work, leaving WiFi on seems to extend my battery life.

6. Shane says:

Rich Owings is correct. When you are around a constant wi-fi signal, it uses less battery to be connected to the wi-fi network.

7. Good tips. I turn my WiFi and Bluetooth off as much as possible when I know I’m not going to be a near a re-charger.

8. Paolo says:

Ottimi consigli, escludendo wi-fi e bluetooth, quando non sono necessari, il mio smartphone ha una durata maggiore di circa 2 ore.

9. Marco Zamora says:

“Studies show that in one day, Lookout uses the same amount of battery as: one 33-second call, 28 seconds of Angry Birds, 2.5 text messages”

I call bull on this statement. On my phone, a Galaxy Note 3, with Lookout installed in the ROM by T-Mobile, it consistently showed about 10% usage of the battery.

As I write, I’m deactivating it and uninstalling updates because, in the last four hours, it consumed *70%* of the battery, even after I killed the process and then tried deleting its cache and data and restarting.

Lookout is not worth it.