Many of us have felt the pain of losing our most valuable accessory, have seen a friend panic because they misplaced their phone and it’s on silent, or have heard an announcement over a loud speaker asking if anyone has found a lost phone. If you find yourself in one of these desperate situations, you could be in luck. You can download Plan B, an innovative app that can help you find your phone after it goes missing!
While “Plan A” is not losing your phone, (or already having a find my phone app like Lookout), Plan B is your last resort to locating your Android device.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how to use Plan B to find your Android device if it goes missing:
- Go to Google Play (formerly know as the Android Market). Make sure you visit the desktop web version, not the Google Play app on your phone, and search for Plan B, or go directly to the Plan B page.
- Click Install. Plan B will then begin to remotely download on your phone.
- As soon as it is finished installing (which does require a data connection), Plan B will send an email to your Gmail account telling you it is locating your phone.
- Once Plan B has located your phone, check your Gmail again to find a link to a Google Map of your phone’s location. For 10 minutes Plan B will send you a series of emails with refined location updates – so be patient!
- If your phone seems to be on the move, or you aren’t able to find your phone within 10 minutes of downloading Plan B, you can text yourself the word “locate” from a friend’s phone in order to start the locate process again.
While Plan B can locate your phone, it unfortunately can’t go and retrieve it for you. So if you find that your phone is in a location you are not familiar with, please contact the authorities who will be able to help you get it back.
If you want to be even more prepared, your “Plan A” should always be Lookout. That way, if your phone is ever lost or stolen, you can log into your Lookout account at lookout.com and locate your phone on a map, then make it ‘scream’ once you get close! If you need help with Plan B, email our support team at support [at] lookout [dot] com.
Click to enlarge