April 17, 2016

Can a phone be hacked? Watch Lookout on 60 Minutes

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 5.34.59 PM

Interested in getting more in-depth information on our attack demonstrations? Read about how we did the Wi-Fi attack here and the mobile malware attack here

Tonight, 60 Minutes featured Lookout co-founder John Hering and a number of other well-known and respected security researchers demonstrating mobile attacks.

This snippet of conversation from the segment, captures the reality of mobile security:

60 Minutes’ Sharyn Alfonsi: “Is everything hackable?”
Hering: “Yes.”
A: “Everything?”
H: “Yes.”
A: “If somebody tells you, ‘You can’t do it’?”
H: “I wouldn’t believe them.”

As the segment continues a number of ways smartphones can be attacked are shown. For example, John explains the issues with spoofed Wi-Fi networks that, when connected to, could give an attacker a live view of the activity on your device. The segment also looks at an attack that uses only a phone number to spy on a targeted device.

Lookout provides safer solutions for everybody

At Lookout, we’ve been committed to helping the world become safer as it gets more connected since 2007. In that time we’ve developed a suite of products, including mobile apps for personal and enterprise security.

To detect mobile threats and protect your privacy you can download Lookout from the Google Play or App Store here:
Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 4.41.21 PM Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 4.41.11 PM

For enterprise technology and security teams, there’s Mobile Threat Protection, Lookout’s mobile security solution for business, that integrates with existing MDM and EMM solutions to deliver comprehensive security for the mobile threat landscape.

Learn more about Mobile Threat Protection in this video that shows the lightweight endpoint apps, admin dashboard, and simple provisioning.

Mobile security is more important than ever

As tonight’s episode showed, phones can be hacked. While this is a true statement, it’s not a cause for alarm. Lookout is laser-focused on creating products that serve and delight not just IT administrators and CSOs, but individuals as well. You don’t have to worry about mobile security, because we will.

However, if you’ve been waiting for the right time to pay attention to mobile security, that time is now.

1. Elizabeth Robinson says:

Because if this 60 Minutes story, I hace signed up for the premium service! Good job.

• They folks are first class act and on top of their game. Recommended to everyone having an IPhone to download their app. I’m a believer and only hope they continue to stay ahead of the curve and produce software that cannot be hacked. Great work!!

• Amber nicole says:

I have lookout but not premium as i cannot pay for it atm. However at the end of one of my emails from you guys I noticed that when I first activated my Lookout account it was with a different phone and another number how do I get to access to change that number to my new phone

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Amber, please feel free to reach out to our support team who can help you! Please include the email address associated with your account so we can find your account more quickly. The email is: support [at] lookout [dot] com

• Panther6834 says:

@Elizabeth Robinson as well as anyone else who is upgrading to Lookout’s Premium service…you seem to have missed the point. When the hackers interviewed in the 60 Minutes story said “anything can be hacked”, that includes Lookout’s premium service. When they say “anything”, they, quite literally, mean ANYTHING. I will admit, up front, that I did my fair share of hacking back in the 1980s, and not for “good” purposes…although, when federal laws came into being, that’s when I stopped.

The group I was a part of never did anything to cause computer problems (it was more of a “financial matter”), but the number of hackers who ARE attempting to cause problems…and serious problems, at that…has increased. You can have the best security software available; you can encrypt your cell phones & computers; you can do everything possible to maintain the security of your data; however, no matter what you do, there WILL always be someone (in all likelihood, many “someones”) who will have the knowledge, ability, and tools (hardware and/or software) to get past whatever you’ve set up.

Back in the 1980s, businesses such as Bank of America, Wells Fargo, PG&E, and several others became VERY aware of this fact, which is exactly why they started hiring former hackers to rewrite their security systems. It’s because of these break-ins that the consumer & corporate security sector came into existence, and will continue to thrive. Just as hackers find more ways to disrupt, security companies find more ways to repair & block. In other words, it’s a never-ending battle…just as the Ford vs Chevy battle will rage on, until one of them goes out of business, the hacker-battle (my choice of words) will also continue, with a “winner” never to be declared.

2. Ken Ogle says:

No thanks please deactivate my account 4/19/2016

3. Tyrhonda Nicole Brownlee says:

How do I edit my lookout so I can change lookout to my gmail

4. Seyridwhorton says:

Is this just an app or a service.

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi there, good question. We help both individuals and businesses stay safe from mobile attack. For individuals, we provide an application (iOS or Android) that watches for malicious apps and warns the person if anything bad is running on their phone. We also offer data back up, locate, Safe Browsing, and a host of other features that can help keep you safe. Check out the details here: https://www.lookout.com/download

For enterprises, we offer a SaaS solution called Mobile Threat Protection that provides comprehensive risk management across corporate-owned or BYO mobile devices to secure against app, device, and network-based threats. This solution includes an app that is distributed to enterprise employees. You can check it out here: https://www.lookout.com/enterprise-mobile-security

5. Yolanda says:

i received a NOTE 3 phone replacement and i need to save all my info apps and what i browsed on the internet “History”

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Yolanda, Thanks for reaching out! Using Lookout Premium, you can backup your contacts, photos, and call history. We also support contacts-only back up in our Free product. You can back up your data right inside the app.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our support team and include the email address associated with your Lookout account: support [at] lookout [dot] com

6. stacie says:

I signed up for lookout because I’m pretty positive my phone is being hacked. my location keeps turning on now even after I turn it off. My phone is freezing up when I start to text, or it seems to have a mind of it’s own and texts things I don’t type. Now my daughter is not receiving a lot of my calls and texts and that only seems to effect her and I. Also one of her contacts got synced to the wrong contact, not sure if she did! that on accident somehow.

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Stacie, sorry to hear that’s happening. If you think you might have encountered malware, feel free to reach out to our team: malware [at] lookout [dot] com

7. Steve Hampe says:

Thanks Lookout for scaring the bejeezus out of me.

I have been using Lookout since basically getting my first smartphone, upgrading to Premium soon thereafter. I mostly have used it to find devices lost in the home, but now have to ask how protected my phone/tablet is with Lookout when Mr. Hering himself has basically said we’re all hackable. Not to put too fine i point on it, but just yesterday, I was contacted by my bank about a fraudulent charge.

Given what I just learned, I am now wondering where in the global network the weak link was to allow that access?

8. Roger says:

Seems a bit odd that a story about security posts a video that requires ad blocking be disabled before watching. With all the malware and the such out there, uncontrolled ads are the last thing I want presented on my systems.

9. Scott D says:

Funny with all this talk about malware, vulnerabilities, etc. 60 minutes wants us to download their App to view the video.

• B Parker says:

AND, even though the headline on the ad said the app has “no ads”, I had to suffer through two ads before the 60 Minutes segment played! This is total bull!

• Sherry partner says:

Can u help me figure out my problem sir?? Spicey “samp”

10. Dan says:

While I appreciate there are plenty of reasons to use Lookout (and I’m a premium user), this video primarily points out two things that are not related to mobile malware:
    1) Don’t connect to unknown WiFi hotspots, or the data you send across the network could be compromised. This is primarily a reason (as I see it) to use a personal VPN, not a reason to use Lookout.
    2) There are vulnerabilities in SS7, which argue for using potentially more secure encrypted messaging products (Hangouts, etc.) rather than relying on a typical carrier’s network. Again, not a reason to use Lookout.

• kent says:

While I am not a security expert, VPN seems to be another interesting topic. I was attempting to be proactive recently and purchasing a personal VPN based on data from a popular tech magazine. My credit card placed a lock on the process. Turns out the payment was going to an eastern block country. It may be completely legitimate but this fact was not in the article and I then choose a vpn solution where the provider specifically stated they were a US based company. Lookout Premium customer for a number of years now.

11. Chris says:

If everything is hackable so is lookout. Lol nice try on the sales pitch. If you have a Samsung device it comes with Knox security.

12. Just Mac says:

60 Minutes’ Sharyn Alfonsi: “Is everything hackable?”

Hering: “Yes.”

A: “Everything?”

H: “Yes.”

But you say that downloading your suite of products will protect my privacy. Aren’t you contradicting your co-founder?

13. David says:

If the vulnerability is in SS7, then point to point to encryption is the panacea.

How does a service on the phone detect when some is tapped in?

This whole report has been one giant click bait advertisement. There’s no video to watch, just ads to push.

I originally signed up for lookout athe least a year ago. I’m going to end up getting a blackphone2 from silent circle.

This is not the suite you’re looking for.

14. DEBRETA MARTIN says:

How come Lookout hasn’t made the app available to work with Google Chrome for Safe Browsing yet? I’ve wrote support about this months ago and was told that they were working on it. It’s been a long time. When is this going to be fixed? This has to a vulnerability to most people’s devices.

15. ivette says:

How do I get a premium code?

16. Frito Hobbit says:

Amazing how paranoia will make some people attack everyone, including those trying to help. Lookout has never said they are the one stop only shop for phone protection. And their basic product is free, so I don’t see how this is all just an advert cooked up by CBS an lookout. Not much of a revenue stream from that. And yes there is a need for more security besides what lookout supplies. And it starts with a thinking brain. Then calmly think of what todo, to avoid, or what other products may provide the protection you think you need.

17. Leslie says:

I have had and still have lookout and got hacked anyway. How did this happen??

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Leslie, I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble. If you think you’ve encountered malware, would you please reach out to our security team? malware [at] lookout [dot] com

Please feel free to reach out to our support team as well, and include the email address associated with your account: support [at] lookout [dot] com

18. Bryan says:

To bad I have to download some other app just to watch the video that is so highly recommended by John Hering. Why would he risk the potential security of his clients in this way? This is only the first of many contradictions in relation to aspects of this media interview.

19. Nikkie says:

I love look out only thing with it running all the time it over heats my phone.

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Nikkie, I’m sorry to hear that! Would you please reach out to our support team? Hopefully they can help figure out what’s going on. support [at] lookout [dot] com

We also love to get feedback that can help us improve the product!

20. lavonne Willis says:

I have been a premium lookout customer for a few years. I cannot imagine myself without it.i accidentally left my phone in a taxi. lookout snapped a great, clear photo of the person that had my phone, even the addresse where the guy lived. I took it to my local Precinct showed it to the officers. unfortunately I never found the guy though but lookout is the best security app there is. I also got 2 friends to sign up for it.

• lavonne Willis says:

the free version is good but the premium version is great. I love all the security, the scanning of the apps for malware. I could go on & on about how wonderful lookout security is. thanks guys for a job well done. and it’s worth the $4.00 a month.

21. This keeps my phone completely safe from other hacking in it , GOOD JOB !

22. Linda Dotson says:

done have look out on my phone have had for a couple of years now

23. What app can you you track other phone

24. Loraine says:

Lookout really protect my Samsung Galaxy S6. I prove it over and over. I signed up through Tmobile my prefer mobile network. Certainly I would recommend to everyone.

25. lacretia says:

locked out phone though lookout need help please

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Lacretia, sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Please feel free to reach out to our support team. You can email them at support [at] lookout [dot] com and include the email address associated with your account? Hopefully they can help figure out what’s going on here.

26. Julie says:

I have used Lookout since I got my first smartphone. I purchased the premium version, I am so appreciative of the time and efforts the company have gone to to make my smartphone a little safer. Thanks Lookout! You are worth every penny!

27. J. Carr says:

Lookout is very Good and offers fair protection. But, it’s true, Nothing is unhackable, vulnerabilities are constantly found in all Software and hardware, unfortunately they can get exploited and used for harm before they are patched up because that’s the way it is.

Use software like lookout to protect your self and practice safe habits like changing your password often and,the best solution is this: I should the information is too sensitive and important it should not be on your cellphone anyways. That will protect you more than any app.

28. estrella reyes says:

I found my phone

29. Brenda McKenzie says:

I had a different old phone number on my fackbook account so how some one use my galaxy 6 phone number i was wondering how some use my presence number on my account to access my Facebook account a hack my account when it was not the number on my account but use the present number how did they do new my phone number on my phone to hack my information

30. Brenda McKenzie says:

Sprint let someone hack my account

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Brenda, sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Not sure what happened here, but feel free to reach out to our support team if you need help: support [at] lookout [dot] com

31. sandra gibson says:

Cant get in as saying my email and password r not rite i forgot my password

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Sandra, I’m sorry you’re having problems logging in. You can do a password recovery by going to the login page and clicking “Forgot Password.” https://my.lookout.com/user/login

If you’re still having trouble, feel free to reach out to our support team and include the email address associated with your Lookout account: support [at] lookout [dot] com

32. Alejandro Cedillo says:

In order to play the video, one has to get subscribed to a CBS paid service.

33. Stacey says:

Been a premium member since 2012! I will always be thankful for you guys! All my devices are with Lookout and I feel safer. Thank you!

34. Monica says:

2questions.
    1.-¿how many devices per account is possible to have with one premium annual payment?
    2.- If my phone plan is almost finished, do i have to pay another premium account?

• Meghan Kelly says:

Hi Monica, with Lookout you can manage 5 devices in one account. You also won’t need to get a new Premium account when your existing phone plan ends. You can simply deactivate your old device and activate your new one. To deactivate an old device, just log into Lookout.com and click the trash can next to the device you want to delete. You can email support [at] lookout [dot] com with any questions.

35. Thomas Wurst says:

I love your product, however it has yet to protect from the hackers putting Pegasus back in my iPhone. I have wiped it so many times it is unreal. At one time it was streaming so much that it almost burned my hands. Guess it will be a great bed warmer for the winter. I have suggestions for how to prevent this from happening again. We have to catch the hackers with their own game and publish their faces for the world to see. Any ideas!!!